We live in an era of accelerating change, uncertainty and unprecedented complexity. Organizational strategies today will be obsolete — if not self-defeating — tomorrow. Success requires agile leadership and visionary communication.
That is why the Graduate School of Media and Communications at the Aga Khan University (AKU GSMC) is proud to offer a seminal opportunity to sharpen two of the most vital skills – leadership and communication demanded by these challenging times.
Transforming Leadership for 21st Century Africa comprises two world class courses.
Transforming Leadership for the 21st Century Africa will challenge your thinking and decision making by enhancing your leadership and communication styles, in both your personal and professional life.
This program will help you:
- Explore modern and proven techniques in leadership and communication.
- Develop insights for strengthening your leadership and communication styles.
- Understand how to address complex longterm organizational challenges.
- Discover tools to powerfully communicate with peers and direct reports.
- Be part of a global network.
Who Should Apply?
Transforming Leadership for 21st Century Africa is an opportunity for you to grow as you re-examine your leadership and communication styles in a global context.
This program is right for you if:
- You are a proven or emerging leader in a public, corporate or non-profit organization.
- You are responsible for leading others and making mission-critical decisions.
- You wish to enhance your leadership and communication styles.
- You want to learn from a global leader in executive training.
- You seek to accelerate your personal and/or organizational growth.
Brought to you by the John F. Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University, Executive Education, this course offers a transformative opportunity to learn how to exercise leadership with more courage, skill and effectiveness.
While most leadership development courses focus on building a distinct set of skills and tactics, Adaptive Leadership for Africa pushes you to think seriously about your deepest assumptions and most strongly held values.
By looking beyond quick-fix, short-term solutions, you will gain the tools and knowledge necessary to address the competing commitments, strategies and loyalties within your own organization and community. Through lectures and group discussions, the curriculum will focus on:
- Exercising leadership with and without authority.
- The distinction between “technical” problems and “adaptive” challenges.
- Analyzing and managing the dynamics that impede progress.
- Unlocking individual and group creativity.
- Distinguishing “self” and “role” in the exercise of leadership.
- Translating purpose and commitment into effectiveness.
- The centrality of purpose to the activity of leadership.
- The characteristics of effective intervention.
Plan, prepare and apply
We recommend that you take your time planning your application. Follow the application checklist and ensure you have provided all information required. Please prepare your essay responses in advance of submitting your application. The application form allows you to save progress made on your application. When you are ready to apply , click the “Apply Now” link. Please allot approximately 60 minutes to complete your application.
Date: September 15-20, November 10-13, 2019
Cost: USD 7,500
Faculty: Delivered by the John F. Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University, Executive Education; and by The Aga Khan University Graduate School of Media and Communications
Certifications: Upon successful completion of Transforming Leadership for 21st Century Africa, participants will be awarded a certificate for Adaptive Leadership for Africa: Chaos Complexity and Courage by the HKS Executive Education, and a certificate for The Voice of Leadership: Inspiration, Influence and Impact by the AKU GSMC. To be awarded these certificates, participants must successfully complete the full suite of offerings.