Duration: 4 Days
Strategic management focuses on building a solid underlying structure to your organization whereas strategic planning determines where an organization is going and how it’s going to get there. This course strives to impart development practitioners with the essential skills that will help them in the planning and management of programs.
The course is designed to help participants:-
- Understand the importance of strategic management in the development world
- Understand the basic principles of strategic management and their relationship to project management
- Grasp the meaning and importance of strategic planning and management in an organization.
- Identify the key elements of an effective strategic planning process.
- Demonstrate the use of SWOT, Pestle Analysis and other analysis tools in the strategic planning process.
- Identify the key milestones in strategy formulation.
- Master and apply the process of measurement and control in the strategic planning and management process.
Day 1: Introduction to strategic planning
- Strategy and why it is important
- Principles of strategic management
- Relationship between strategy and project/organizational management
- Key elements of a good strategy
- Benefits and risks of strategic planning
Crafting a strategy
- Preparing for the planning process
- Identify the key elements of an effective strategic planning process
- Stakeholder involvement at every phase
- Strategic review to determine ‘where you are now?’
- Tools for organizational analysis: SWOT, Pestle Analysis, Boston Consulting Group matrix
- Key milestones in strategy formulation.
Identifying strategic direction
- Relationship between outputs, outcomes and impact
- Clarifying mission, vision, values and direction
- Aligning organization strategy and identity
A fresh look at what your organization is, what it does, and why
- Setting strategic objectives
- Establishing success criteria
- Listing priority areas for action and developing objectives
- Applying SMART strategic thinking skills
- Using outcomes-based tools
Day 3: Mastering strategy implementation
- Key factors in implementing strategy
- Communicating your strategic plan
- Application of strategy in management
- Using action planning tools such as logical frameworks,
- Process of measurement and control in the strategic planning and management process
Day 4: Strategy review and management processes
- Undertaking effective monitoring and evaluation
- Identifying the indicators, and how to measure their achievement
- Planning review and reflection sessions
- Executing review and reflection sessions
Emphasis is on Practical skills. Plenary presentation & Group Work with the use of templates, and practical tools will be supplemented with Knowledge Transfer Activities that each participant will develop and implement in their work. After-Training, follow-up and remedial coaching will be offered to interested participants and organizations on request. Only a small number of participants will be admitted for the training to ensure quality time utilization for each participant.
The training is suitable for development program managers, the Heads’ of Department, project officers and their assistants from NGOs, CBOs, and individuals interested in working in the development sector.